The recent hot weather has seen temperatures exceed 28°C for 17 days in a row.
Met Office meteorologist Dean Hall said
“Monday [yesterday] was our 16th consecutive day where we have seen temperatures above the 28C mark. We are in the midst of a heatwave.”
The warmth has meant that many Brits are not saving bare legs for holidays only – but instead exposing their legs at home and at work on a daily basis just to keep cool.
However, wearing shorts or dresses/skirts that finish above the knee can be a worry for people who suffer from vein problems.
Millions of women and men struggle with the appearance of thread veins or varicose veins on their legs and this can mean that they’re unwilling to bare their legs or embarrassed when they do.
Thread Veins and Varicose Veins
Thread veins and varicose veins occur when the veins have become damaged and blood can’t flow efficiently through them. This causes the blood to pool and gather, so that the vein can be seen through the skin’s surface.
- Thread veins may be considered a largely cosmetic issue, affecting the way the skin looks but not causing any medical concern.
- Varicose veins have physical symptoms too which can include discomfort, pain, itching, swelling, ulceration, eczema,throbbing and more.
Unfortunately, thread veins and varicose veins don’t get better on their own. In fact, The pooling of the blood places further pressure on the damaged vein, so the problem will continue to get worse.
Therefore if the appearance is a concern, it may be time to look into solutions for the problem.
Thread Veins Treatments
- Laser treatment is a very popular option for dealing with thread veins. It is fast and efficient, using laser energy to destroy the affected veins so that blood flows instead through other healthier veins. This is available in selected vein treatment centres as advanced equipment is required. Cosmedics’ London Vein Treatment Centre based in Putney offers the latest laser solution for thread veins.
- Sclerotherapy is a treatment which gets rid of thread veins on the legs or thighs. A special injection is delivered into the vein where it damages the structure of the vessel and destroys its ability to carry blood. The vein will then disappear and blood will simply flow elsewhere, leaving the skin appearing clearer. Sclerotherapy treatment is available at Cosmedics Skin Clinics based in Bristol and London.
Varicose Vein Treatments
- EVLA laser varicose vein removal is viewed as the gold-standards solution for varicose veins. This procedure is is carried out on a day case basis and uses local anaesthetic. Recovery is very quick and patients are able to walk unaided to return home. Cosmedics Skin Clinics offer EVLA (endovenous laser ablation) with a vascular surgeon from £1,650 per leg (1 vein).
- Foam sclerotherapy is an injectable treatment which uses a special chemical to destroy the varicose vein
- Micro surgery is also available where the vein needs to be surgically removed
- ClariVein is the latest addition at Cosmedics, which combines a mechanical action with a chemical reaction in order to destroy varicose veins
Cosmedics Skin Clinics
Established in 2003, Cosmedics Skin Clinics offer thread vein removal at a selection of clinics based in London and Bristol using the latest techniques with GMC-registered doctors and surgeons.
For more information or to book a consultation, please complete the form on this web page or call 020 7386 0464.