Expert Advice on Varicose Veins from Dr Ross Perry
Woman’s Own looked into the issue of varicose veins with expert Dr Ross Perry, founder of The London Vein Centre.
As the article explained, varicose veins affect a great many people. It’s estimated that 30% of the adult population have them in the UK,. The NHS carries out around 35,000 varicose vein removal procedures a year, which leaves many people untreated, yet the issue is not just cosmetic, it could cause pain and other health issues.
Dr Ross Perry was asked to explain what to expect from a visit to the GP:
“Your GP will assess the veins to see how extensive they are.
“They will be looking to see if the leg veins have signs of ulceration, pain, bleeding or skin colour changes – these are the signs the veins are moderate to severe – and whether you can be seen under the NHS or need to find a private clinic.
“In most cases, your GP will advise either compression stockings to help manage symptoms (usually for six months) or to go private.
“The criteria for referral to an NHS hospital is very strict, so you won’t be able to have them removed for purely cosmetic reasons on the NHS.”
Private Varicose Vein Treatment
For those clients who cannot gain treatment on the NHS, the private sector offers treatments that have high success rates at eliminating unsightly vein problems.
The London Vein Treatment Centre offers a variety of options, depending on the nature of the condition being treated:
Varicose Vein Removal Treatments
We offer a range of varicose vein treatments using the latest laser and surgical techniques, all carried out by our experienced Vascular Surgeon on a ‘walk in walk out’ basis with no overnight stay and no general anaesthetic:
- EVLA (endovenous laser ablation) treatment offers a 95% success rate. Cosmedics Skin Clinics offer EVLA treatment at their London vein treatment centre with a renowned vascular surgeon. Prices start at £1,650 per leg (1 vein)
- ClariVein® is a treatment which combines a mechanical with a chemical action to seal
- Foam sclerotherapy an injectable treatment for smaller varicose veins or larger thread veins
- Tumescent Foam Sclerotherapy combines EVLA with Foam Sclerotherapy – exclusive to The London Vein Centre
- Micro surgery for physical, surgical removal of the affected vein where necessary
London Vein Treatment Centre
Established in 2003, Cosmedics Skin Clinics offer treatment for thread veins using the latest techniques with GMC-registered doctors and surgeons. They also offer advanced laser varicose vein treatment at the London Vein Treatment Centre at a choice of two highly equipped London Vein Treatment Centres.
- 4 Disraeli Road, Putney, London, SW15 2DS
- 41 Harley Street, London, W1G 8QH
The most popular option is EVLA (endovenous laser ablation) laser varicose vein removal with a vascular surgeon with prices starting at £1,650 per leg (1 vein).
For more information, please complete the form to the right hand side or call 020 7386 0464.